We just received an invite to the Lyft Pittsburgh launch party. We are excited that Lyft is officially launching in Pittsburgh on Friday, February 7. If you have happened to travel to San Francisco lately you may have seen some cars with bright pink mustaches driving around. Or maybe you caught this clip on Conan O’Brien back in December.
What is Lyft?
Lyft is a peer-to-peer ride sharing service. Download the Lyft app and create an account with your Facebook profile. Once you are approved and add your credit card, you can request rides from verified Lyft drivers.
The drivers are your fellow Pittsburghers who have passed a background-check and have been approved by Lyft. Lyft cars have a pink mustache on the front of the car.
From the Lyft website:
Lyft is like having a friend with a car whenever you need one. Simply download the app, request a Lyft and you’ll be on your way in minutes with a friendly, background-checked community driver. It’s more fun and costs less than a cab.
Lyft was founded in San Francisco in 2012 and has already rolled out in 16 cities across the country.
Help Lyft Launch in Pittsburgh – Become a Lyft Pioneer and Get Free Rides for Next 2 Weeks
The Lyft Pioneer program is over. You can use this link to get $25 credit towards your first Lyft ride.
What’s a Lyft Pioneer?
- You use Lyft wherever you go – by taking rides, you help bring more drivers on the road, making Lyft more reliable than ever
- You give feedback to community drivers in the app after each ride
- You get 50 Lyft rides on us, valid for the next 2 weeks (up to $25 per ride).
- Your friends can get complimentary rides too, but only if they join soon. Invite your friends to join the Lyft community:
Lyft has built an interesting community around giving rides. Check out this video for a look at the Lyft app and the community.
Follow Lyft on Facebook and on Twitter @Lyft. The hashtag for the Lyft launch is #LyftOffPittsburgh.
You can read more about the Lyft launch in Pittsburgh from the Pittsburgh Business Times and the Tribune-Review.
Here are some additional articles to check out about Lyft:
- Lyft touts coalition seeking better peer-to-peer driver insurance (bizjournals.com)
- Lyft bumps up driver insurance and joins a new insurance coalition (venturebeat.com)
- Lyft to Uber: We’ll beat you with our weirdness (pando.com)
- Lyft Pittsburgh Launch Party (3hourlocal.com)
- Lyft expands coverage to airport, Pittsburgh western suburbs (post-gazette.com)